Shopping is one of the most significant things we can do to Live Green. Your dollar is a powerful medium in which you can support green products and practices. Below, you will find tips for shopping and local places to invest your money. Remember- when you Rebuy recycled products, you “close the loop”!
Here are some tips for Shopping Green:
- Avoid single-use items. Instead buy reusable or repairable products.
- Use and reuse gift bags, scarves, towels, comics, ribbons and bows to wrap and decorate gifts.
- Rent, don’t buy, infrequently used tools.
- Take your own cloth, paper or plastic bags to the store instead of getting new ones every trip.
- Buy products with less packaging.
- Buy in bulk.
- Donate or sell used goods; shop at garage sales and resale shops.
- Purchase items in concentrate when possible (the packaging is always significantly less).
- Buy products that contain recycled materials. Glass, Steel, and aluminum bottles, jars, or cans have 20% or more recycled content.
- Paperboard boxes (such as cereal and shoe boxes) are made from almost 100% recycled materials.
- Avoid foam containers, waxed milk and juice cartons, and any single serve boxes.
- Repair old items instead of buying new ones.
- Select recycled-content writing paper and envelopes; buy refillable pens and pencils.
- Buy a low-flow showerhead and install it.